Saturday, January 24, 2009

When Times are Lean be Creative

One of my favorite shows on HGTV is Freestyle. It involves helping people look at what they already own in a new way so they can create a more functional space within their home by using their stuff in a new way. The combination of having new eyes on your stuff, creativity, and a willingness to change are the key elements in a successful transformation.

I know times are tough for many small business owners - and people in general. This has forced me to look at my business in a new way and pursue different avenues of revenue. Some of the avenues I am looking at are trying to sell my CDs and jewelry at some area shops, advertising on my website and newsletter, and beginning a new student referral program. We have also started to create more synergistic relationships with likeminded businesses by doing combinations of seminars and yoga therapy sessions. Right now I feel like I am sowing seeds and tilling the soil. It is hard to know which seeds will germinate, grow, and blossom but I am trying to enjoy the process and the work along the way.

Even though revenues are down, I am very grateful for many things in my life. My home, my husband, my abilities to teach myself a plethora of skills, like website building, marketing, etc., my ability to create artful jewelry. Mostly I am grateful for the shifts I have the privilege of witnessing in the students (and teachers) who grace our classes. So many are kind in sharing how the work we do has positively touched their lives. In lean times - and all the time really - this means the world and helps us to have the strength, stamina, courage, and faith to continue on. A few years ago I had a private yoga session with the owner of a small business. His wife, Robin, had bought him the session, and he really had no interest in yoga. However, the conversation we had that day has stayed with me all this time. He said, "The most important thing is to just keep going; just stay in business." That has become my mantra since then - through buying and rennovating our new space, moving, and now through tough economic times.

No comments:

Post a Comment